COUNCIL OF UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA EMERITI ASSOCIATIONS
Historian’s Report for April 30, 2014 (UC Santa Barbara)
On April 28, 1988, twenty-six years ago, Santa Barbara hosted its first meeting of the Council of University of California Emeriti Associations (CUCEA) which was also the second biannual meeting after its founding on the Berkeley campus on October 27, 1987. Highlights of the Santa Barbara meeting are included in this report.
.A Brief History of the UCSB Campus. Before presenting the highlights, it seems appropriate to give a brief history of this campus. UCSB dates its founding in 1891 to the Anna S. C. Blake School that offered training in home economics and industrial arts. In 1909, the State of California took it over and renamed it the Santa Barbara State Normal School of Manual Arts and Home Economics. It was located on 14 acres of land donated by Charles A. Edwards, a local banker, in the Riviera neighborhood of Santa Barbara, and it became known as the Riviera campus. The city of Santa Barbara extended its streetcar line from the Mission to the campus. The Normal School name changed over the next decades when it became a four year program and added liberal arts. In 1919, it was renamed the Santa Barbara State Normal School with its new president, Clarence L. Phelps. In 1921 it became the Santa Barbara State Teachers College. In 1935 its new name was Santa Barbara State College. On July 1, 1944 it became a campus of the State University and given the name Santa Barbara College of the University of California with two locations in Santa Barbara: the Riviera and the Mesa campuses. Former President Clarence L. Phelps of the State Normal School was appointed the college’s first Provost. In 1954, the college moved from its two locations in Santa Barbara to 408 acres of land, a part of the former World War II Marine air base on Goleta Point. In 1958, the college was designated a general campus of the University of California system and renamed the University of California Santa Barbara. Samuel B. Gould was appointed the first Chancellor. The campus is now located on 1,055 acres of land and is the major center of activity in the Goleta area.
The First CUCEA Meeting at UCSB. The meeting was held in the Chancellor’s Conference Room in Cheadle Hall. It should be noted that the minutes often use “Council” in place of “CUCEA.” After the corrected minutes of the January 28, 1988 telephone conference call of all CUCEA members were approved, Chair Albert Hofstadter [UCSC] shared some observations to be considered during the first year. Emeriti are represented on the University Committee of Faculty Welfare (UCFW) by two appointees. One should be a CUCEA representative. The source of funding for CUCEA would be at the discretion of the UCFW. Chair Hofstadter “urged persistence in asking the Central Administration for aid as soon as proposals are concrete and detailed.” He stated that emeriti support is needed as well as funding. The Academic Senate gave a one-time grant of $5,000 to initially launch CUCEA as mentioned in the October 27, 1987 minutes. It was not until the third meeting in Davis on October 27, 1988 that $1.00 per member from each campus was approved. The Chair proposed emeriti centers on each campus like the one established at UCLA in 1969. He asked CUCEA Secretary Ralph Nair to speak later in this meeting about developments at Santa Barbara. Among other concerns of the Chair were CUCEA’s relation to the Academic Senate and University administration, creating a mailing list of all UC retirees, cooperation with the emeriti associations on each campus and the Academic Senate on numerous problems, developing relations with public agencies when emeriti interests might be involved, and a central Emeriti Center at Berkeley that “… could function as a central coordinating center for the universitywide body of emeriti, as well as a CUCEA Center for the Council.”
Secretary Ralph Nair [UCSB] reported on the effectiveness of telephone conference calls like the one in January involving all members of the Council as a good means of communicating matters of mutual concern. He said that the CUCEA records were rapidly accumulating and needed a filing box to house them. As Secretary he responded “… to inquiries by campus emeriti associations and individual emeriti regarding such matters as emeriti rights and privileges as well as their options on such concomitant issues as voting, office space, and computer services.” He further stated that emeriti need “… to make their presence known on matters of faculty participation in campus events…”
Treasurer George Brown [UCI] reported there were “… no additional major expenditures since those of the fall ’87 meeting.”
Information Officer Carl Helmholz [UCB] reported that he had compiled lists of emeriti and forwarded them to the Chair. The Constitutions and/or Bylaws were collected. He further stated that the “… chief emeriti officer of a campus emeriti association should be a former conventional ladder faculty member with conferred emeriti status.”
Reports of the activities of each emeriti association followed:
John Adams reported for San Francisco: Emeriti surveyed adjacent area to develop and maintain “… town and gown relations with areas near their medical center.” A room in the Alumni Faculty House that contains desks and file cabinets was made available for emeriti who are not able to obtain office space.
Albert Hofstadter reported that emeriti at Santa Cruz were invited to attend a Chancellor’s luncheon.
Edward Barrett announced that Davis had organized a new emeriti association with the assistance of their academic senate and administration. A rapid growth in membership is expected.
Louis Riehl reported emeriti at Riverside who will retire within the year were invited to their May meeting. A proposal for voting rights in departmental business, except personnel, is going to their academic senate. Plans for an emeriti center are in the works with the aid of the administration and a campus committee.
Carl Helmholz said Berkeley has 265 dues paying members. Their organization remains primarily social. They meet five times a year at the Faculty Club. He believes emeriti on all campuses do not recognize or appreciate the goals and work of CUCEA. He felt a Berkeley Emeriti Center should be near the Faculty Center. A university wide emeriti center could be anywhere on campus. “This led to a discussion of the merits of a centralized office to serve as a coordinating center for CUCEA and to assist local campus council officers and members in completing tasks needing secretarial assistance and general communication.” At this point in the minutes several Counsel members contributed “… to the discussion of a central coordinating office and current available means of electronic communication …”
George Brown reported for Irvine that a “… library project co-sponsored by the Friends of the Library, Emeriti Association, and library staff is a stained glass window depicting the University Seal to be dedicated within the year. The project has been a constructive and unifying town and gown endeavor.”
The Chair asked Ralph Nair “… to enumerate his endeavors to obtain authorization of the new Center to be established at the Santa Barbara campus as the second in the University since the establishment of the Emeriti Center at UCLA in 1969.”
It took Ralph Nair three years to get an Emeriti Center established at UCSB! In April 1985 he had an informal discussion with the Assistant Vice Chancellor, Personnel on the possibility for a center. In August an ad hoc committee met with a Personnel Analyst committee member who agreed to draft a proposal. After numerous phone calls, he was told a center “… was not a high priority item on personnel’s list of activities.” After receiving a less satisfactory draft in February 1986, he decided to prepare an expanded version with supportive documentation that was approved by the Board of the UCSB Emeriti Association. On April 22, 1986 he received the approval of the UCSB Academic Senate’s Committee on Emeriti Relations and Retirement Matters, and its Chair reported its action at the May 1986 meeting of the UCSB Faculty Legislature where it was received and placed on hold until December 1986. “With the legislator’s endorsement of the center and plans having it adjacent to and in conjunction with the academic senate office, efforts were made to facilitate the matter with the vice chancellor, academic affairs, and the chair of the academic senate.” Contacts continued with the interim chancellor and other administrative officers during the first half of 1987. In July 1987 Chancellor Barbara S. Uehling arrived and in “… conferences with her concerning the needs of emeriti, the center project was approved and official notice from the vice chancellor, administration, dated January 22, ’88 was received.” It was slated to open on July 1, 1988.
Chair Elect Claude Fawcett [UCLA] showed a proposed handbook he had prepared that also contained the constitution and bylaws for CUCEA. Some questioned if emeriti would read it.
The Chair asked Morley Walker from the Office of the President to review a survey his office made in late 1987 for emeriti faculty on each campus. Some results of the survey are as follows:
Of 721 emeriti responding to the question dealing with requested campus space upon retirement, 48% corroborated that they had asked for space while 52% said they had not. As to the type of space desired, 79% wished offices, 3% laboratories, 1% library, and 17% indicated “other”. Eighty one percent (330) still held their assigned space at the time of the survey. Of seventy eight who did not have space at the time of the survey, approximately one-third (86%) still held it desirable, primarily for research. Only a few of the respondents did not wish space, since they prefer working at home, live too far from campus, have poor health or had other preferences.
Another portion of M. Walker’s survey requested responses on what changes could have been made by emeriti to have a more rewarding retirement experience. The answers included improved financial planning, especially deferred tax annuities, and even the advice to marry a wealthy spouse.
The following officers were nominated: John Adams, Chair Elect for 1989-90; Ralph Nair, Secretary; Carl Helmholz, Information Officer. The office of Treasurer was deferred. At some time after the meeting Hugh Bradner [UCSD] accepted that office.
Edward Barrett tentatively agreed for UC Davis to host the Fall meeting on October 27, 1988.